PURPOSE: The Teacher works directly to empower a diverse population of emerging adults (ages 16 to 24) by providing the support they need to earn their high school diplomas. The Teacher fosters equity in our community by understanding youths’ individual academic needs and by being committed to providing instruction that goes beyond high school completion. The Teacher should recognize student assets that pertains to the post-secondary and career aspirations of each young adult they serve.
HOURS: This position will enjoy a three-day weekend working four 10 hour shifts through the week. This is a 40 hour per week, full-time year-round position fixed Mon-Thu 7:15am-5:15pm.
SALARY & BENEFITS: Starting salary is $40,000-$47,000, depending upon education and experience. Generous benefits package includes paid vacation, sick, personal, and holiday paid time off, maternity/paternity leave, FSA, 403(b) retirement fund and 403(b) matching, health insurance, dental and vision insurance.
The following duties are typically expected of this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
• Facilitate academic empowerment using OFS-Legacy’s Gateways Curriculum as the guiding structure.
• Deliver tools for Emotional and Behavioral Learning that are appropriate within a professional adult context.
• Build equity by setting High Expectations while providing High Support for every student.
• Use formal and informal assessments to guide instruction and meet individual student needs.
• Recognize when you are unable to meet a student’s needs and connect students to resources that can.
• Curate an emotionally and physically safe environment, laying the foundation for a strong learning community.
2. Case Management
• The teacher will be on three case management teams. Each team consists of one site supervisor, one youth employment specialist, and one teacher (you).
• Attend weekly formal Case Management meetings for each team, and engage in frequent informal case management throughout the work week.
• Your total case load will be roughly 25 active participants.
• For each participant, you will be expected to:
o Establish a meaningful, trusting, student/teacher relationship.
o Identify individual strengths and identify barriers to success.
o Deliver academic instruction that supports each youth’s aspirations.
• Support student management of their electronic and physical file folders.
• Track the programmatic progress of every participant on your case load.
• Accurately monitor and report student attendance.
• Enter case notes in a timely, frequent, and accurate way.
• Document all contacts and outreach efforts.
• Create and implement a weekly school schedule to accommodate the needs of participants and their work crews.
• Provide all required documentation and information to the Data Manager in a timely manner.
• Become familiar with the Employee and Participant Handbooks.
• Seek support, and be open to coaching, from your peers and supervisor.
• Maintain positive inter-team communication and support.
• Reinforce and perpetuate OFS Culture and Values.
• Model Consistency, Timeliness, Reliability, and Trustworthiness to the youth of OFS.
• Crosstrain to understand co-workers’ duties and responsibilities.
• Perform other duties, as assigned by your Supervisor.
Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
Background check clear of any disqualifying criminal history.
Experience working to empower diverse emerging-adult populations.
Knowledge of how to strengthen community using Trauma Informed Care principles.
Commitment to establishing and maintaining effective and cooperative working relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization, students, and the public.
Knowledge of equitable teaching and/or instructional methodologies.
Demonstrated commitment to assisting students in their academic success.
Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
Skill in communicating effectively, both orally and in writing.
Ability to relate within a community of people with diverse backgrounds.
Experience with various electronic communication and data platforms.
Practice making team-based decisions in a dynamic work environment.
About the Company
Our Vision: All youth ages 16–24 are assets in our community.
Our Mission: Operation Fresh Start empowers emerging adults on a path to self-sufficiency through education, mentoring, and employment training.