What are your Options for the future? Get your diploma and open up a whole world of Options!
The OFS Options Program will
- Identify options for you to complete high school and begin to set goals for after you have finished
- Help you enroll in the high school diploma or GED/HSED program that is right for you
- Help you overcome challenges (housing, transportation, etc.) that can get in the way of you reaching your goals
- And support you until you have the diploma in your hand!
“I was homeless and a high school dropout. Then I saw a flyer for Options. I wouldn’t be here today if that hadn’t happened. It changed my whole life around. Everything literally worked out for the good.”
– Yasmine, former Options participant and high school graduate
How Options Works
The Options program takes a proactive approach to improving graduation rates by reaching out to both MMSD students who have completed four years of high school, but who did not earn enough credits to graduate and youth that have dropped out of high school (ages 18-24) who have been referred to the Options program by community organizations and government agencies. Interested youth will receive individual counseling and case management, which include:
- Explaining different options for school completion
- Determining strategies for overcoming challenges including transportation, employment, and childcare
- Assistance with program registration and course selection
- Continual support until high school diploma or GED/HSED is earned
Does Options Work?
The Options program has proven to be effective and efficient at immediately impacting the school district’s opportunity gap. Simply put: significantly more 5th year seniors are staying in programming and earning their diplomas, and fewer are dropping out.
Operation Fresh Start’s Options program is changing the dialogue regarding opportunities for students who do not complete high school in four years. There is now greater awareness in the community that the opportunity to complete high school does not end at 18 and there is enormous potential to improve our community by reaching out to those who have dropped out.
If you would like to refer a young person who does not have his/her high school diploma or GED/HSED or if you are a youth who would like to finish your high school education, please contact:
Call: 608-244-4721 Ext. 133 or Text: 608-576-2481