From the very first interview, the applicant is asked to think about career goals and areas where they know they need to grow. During their time at OFS, a participant works with their Transitions Coordinator to develop a personalized career plan that involves:
- Career exploration
- Job shadows and workplace visits
- Education and training requirements for chosen careers
- Job readiness training (e.g., resume writing and mock interviews, soft skill training, professional presentation)
- A work experience away from their crew
In addition to an AmeriCorps term of service, each participant in the OFS Legacy program completes a minimum of 225 hours of additional work experience that is connected to their career goals.
The outcome of career exploration is a “map” of short, intermediate, and long-term goals – benchmarks for specific job or educational placement readiness.
Each participant is required to obtain a job or enroll in college courses before attaining their diploma or HSED. OFS Staff support participants through the job search and college enrollment process. OFS Staff continue to support our graduates for 1 year following completion of a term at OFS.
Recent OFS graduates have found jobs in private and public sector occupations in advanced manufacturing, the building trades, and healthcare. Examples of local employers who have hired OFS graduates in the last 12 months include:
- Amwood Custom Homes
- City of Madison, Engineering Division
- City of Madison, Parks Division
- Dane County Parks
- Hottmann Construction
- Ideal Builders, Inc.
- JH Findorff & Son
- Oak Park Place
- United Parcel Service (UPS)
Other OFS graduates enter higher educational programs leading to career track employment. Recent graduates have entered:
- Madison College in Early Childhood Education
- Madison College in Automotive Technician Program
- Madison College in the Certified Nursing Assistant Program
- Madison College in the Animation Concept Development Program
- Madison College in the Liberal Arts Transfer Program
- Madison College in the Network Security Specialist Program